Role of Teachers, Parents, Students, Librarians and
Chief Librarian (Shishuvan School)
Celebration of Librarians is one of the Annual Events at Shishuvan. This is the second successive year of celebration of this event. Shishuvan School Matunga, Mumbai, celebrated Librarians Day on 12th August 2017 in honor of 125th birth anniversary of Dr. S.R. Ranganathan (widely known as Father of Library Science in India). The celebrations were marked with a Seminar on “Excellence in School Librarianship through Best Practices – role of Teachers, Students, Parents, Librarians and others”.
This time the objective of the Seminar was on Excellence in School Library Practices Vis a vis Best Practices. Democratic and Open School Philosophy of Shishuvan is maintained in Library Seminar by involving and addressing Parents, Teachers, Students, Librarians and others. Presentations were made, lectures were delivered by Teachers, Parents, Students and Librarians and others. The participants comprised of students ,teachers, parents, librarians. Seminar stood out to be unique as it involved major stakeholders of school library service. The result was an useful gain and share knowledge from each of the presenters and participants. Organizers reasserted and re-assured their approach to involve all stake holders in the forth coming events/activities. It was appreciated by one and all and specially by the guest speakers and presenters. Shishuvans commitment to School Library Service was amply visible in the deliberations of its teachers, students, parents and Library Staff.
Soon after the Lighting of the Lamp Ceremony, Mrs Shubadra Shenoy Principal of the School gave her welcome address. She emphasized on the role of Libraries in Schools. She emphasized that libraries and their services are integral to Shishuvan and its academics from KG to Class X. She advised participants to be proactive and support actively in the Teaching Learning process.
Mr.Rajashekhar Devarai, Chief Librarian, in his introductory remarks emphasized on the importance of celebrating Librarians Day, briefed the audience on the relevance of the Librarians Day in a School and dealt in brief about the theme of the Seminar centering around the concepts like : School Libraries, Librarians, Excellence and Best Practices.
Mrs. Heeru Bhojwani (Information Curator and Coach – American School of Bombay), Mrs.Suhas Dave (Head Librarian – Gundecha Education Academy), Mrs Sangeeta Bhansali (Director – Kahani Tree), Mrs.Prashanti Ghadigaonkar / Geetmala S (Faculty Members – Muktangan) were the Core presenters. Mrs. Jamila Merchant, Mrs.Shraddha Tiwarekar, Mrs.Prajakta Bhandare, Shraddha Goyal and Mrs.Archana Balaji , Class VIII students Disha and Mihir presented / deliberated on behalf of Shishuvan. Kabir Class Student activated / energized the group with a timely break.
Highlight of the event was the Question Answer / Discussion Session moderated effectively by Preeti Santosh Malavade, Librarian of Vibgyor High Borivali. Questions were invited for all the presenters one by one. Various issues and concenrns were addressed. During the session Mrs Shamim Padamsee shared her ideas on Indian authors, Indian Books and Reading Events. She also briefed on the ongoing Leading Reading Schools of India Awards. Mrs.Namita Talreja Vice Principal gave presidential remarks. Mrs.Jamila Merchant thanked every one responsible for the success of the Event / Seminar.
Functional and state of art Libraries are back bones of successful schooling according to IFLA/UNISCO School Library Manifesto (1995), “ School library globally are envisioned as a force for the enchantment and improvement of Teaching and Learning through out the School Community for Educators as well as Students .”
The theme of the Seminar was well appreciated by every one. The major take away of the Seminar :
- Libraries can and should play important role in the Teaching / Learning Process.
- Librarians need to adopt professional approach and be professional in works and activities.
- Teachers, Students, Parents and others can contribute and impact effectively and appropriately to achieve excellence in school library service.
- It was truly a day filled with learning and ideas. – Nirupama Kaushik
- The Seminar which was organised was wonderful and it was helpful to gather innovative ideas. There was a good interactive session. Good knowledge to gain. – Amol Sonawane
- In Seminar I enjoyed and learned many new things such as “students can also be Librarians” and came to know about new activities that can be created and will help me during my classes. – Anon.
- The workshop / seminar was encouraging and I came across many new activiries that will help me in developing reading habits in children of my school – Anon.
- The Presentations were wonderful. I liked them. – Hiya, Class V Student, Mahapragya Public School.
- Excellent Seminar. I like all activities and discussions held during the Seminar. I would like to attend such seminars again and again. Thank You. – Ms.Kamini Katkar, Librarian, PIS – CBSE, Powai
- Got very good information on Library functions. I could hear to Librarians with experience. Seminar was arranged in a very good way by Shishuvan. Thanks for celebrating our day i.e Librarians Day. – Hemangini G Shah, Librarian, Sion.